
The death toll in the devastating earthquake that rattled Myanmar and Thailand on Friday may exceed 10,000. United States Geological Survey (USGS) has expressed this apprehension. The tremors of the earthquake were felt in Thailand, Bangladesh, China and India.
An earthquake of 7.7 magnitude struck Myanmar at 11:50 am on Friday. This is the strongest earthquake in 200 years in Myanmar and Thailand. Due to lare-scale destruction, emergency has been imposed in 6 states of Myanmar and entire Thailand.
According to the United States Geological Survey, at least 14 more tremors have struck Myanmar since the 7.7 magnitude earthquake on Friday. Most were of less than 5 magnitude. The most powerful was a 6.7 magnitude tremor that came about 10 minutes after the major earthquake.
Former Prime Minister of Myanmar Aung San Suu Kyi is safe. Suu Kyi is imprisoned in Myanmar. The army staged a coup in Myanmar in 2021. After this, Suu Kyi was kept in custody. In the year 2023, she was sent to jail on several charges including corruption.
The military government of Myanmar has confirmed the death of at least 694 people, while 1,670 people are injured. On the other hand, 10 people have died in Thailand. In this way, more than 700 people have lost their lives in this disaster so far, according to official data.
The Red Cross said that due to disruption in power supply, their teams are facing difficulties in trying to reach Mandalay, Sagaing and Southern Shan State in Myanmar. The Red Cross said that according to the initial information it has received, the earthquake has caused a lot of damage. Currently they are gathering information about humanitarian aid.
The Red Cross has pledged $1,50,000 for relief and aid in the earthquake in Myanmar and Thailand. This fund will be used for essential items like food, water, blankets, tarpaulins, hygiene kits.
Bodies of 10 people recovered from debris of the building in Bangkok, over 100 missing
A building under construction collapsed after the earthquake in Thailand’s capital Bangkok. So far 10 bodies have been recovered from it. The Deputy Governor of Bangkok said that 101 people are missing from three under-construction buildings.
Meanwhile, Two consecutive earthquakes were felt in Afghanistan on Saturday morning, according to the National Seismological Center.
The National Seismological Center told on social media that the intensity of the first earthquake in Afghanistan was measured to be 4.3. The intensity of the earthquake that followed it was 4.7.
The epicenter of the second earthquake was 180 kilometers below the ground. At the same time, the epicenter of the first earthquake was 221 kilometers below the ground.
म्यांमार और थाईलैंड में आए भूकंप में मरने वालों की संख्या 10,000 से ज़्यादा हो सकती है
शुक्रवार को म्यांमार और थाईलैंड में आए भूकंप से मरने वालों की संख्या 10,000 से अधिक हो सकती है। यूनाइटेड स्टेट्स जियोलॉजिकल सर्वे (USGS) ने यह आशंका जताई है। भूकंप के झटके थाईलैंड, बांग्लादेश, चीन और भारत तक महसूस किए गए।
इस बीच, शनिवार सुबह अफगानिस्तान में लगातार दो भूकंप आए, जिसकी पुष्टि नेशनल सिस्मोलॉजिकल सेंटर ने की है। अफगानिस्तान में पहला भूकंप 4.3 तीव्रता का था, जबकि दूसरा भूकंप 4.7 तीव्रता का था। दूसरे भूकंप का केंद्र सतह से 180 किलोमीटर नीचे था, जबकि पहले भूकंप की गहराई 221 किलोमीटर मापी गई थी।
म्यांमार में शुक्रवार को सुबह 11:50 बजे आए 7.7 तीव्रता के भूकंप को म्यांमार और थाईलैंड दोनों के लिए 200 साल का सबसे शक्तिशाली भूकंप माना जा रहा है। व्यापक विनाश के कारण म्यांमार के छह राज्यों और पूरे थाईलैंड में आपातकाल घोषित कर दिया गया है।
यूएसजीएस के अनुसार, शुरुआती 7.7 तीव्रता वाले भूकंप के बाद से म्यांमार में कम से कम 14 अतिरिक्त झटके आए हैं, जिनमें से अधिकांश 5 की तीव्रता से कम दर्ज किए गए हैं। सबसे महत्वपूर्ण आफ्टरशॉक 6.7 तीव्रता का झटका था जो मुख्य भूकंप के लगभग 10 मिनट बाद आया था।
म्यांमार की पूर्व प्रधानमंत्री आंग सान सू की के सुरक्षित होने की सूचना है। 2021 में सैन्य तख्तापलट के बाद वह वर्तमान में जेल में हैं। 2023 में, उन्हें भ्रष्टाचार सहित कई आरोपों में जेल की सजा सुनाई गई थी।
म्यांमार की सैन्य सरकार ने कम से कम 694 मौतों और 1,670 घायलों की पुष्टि की है, जबकि थाईलैंड ने 10 मौतों की सूचना दी है। इस प्रकार, आधिकारिक आंकड़ों के आधार पर, इस आपदा में जान गंवाने वालों की कुल संख्या 700 से अधिक है।
बचाव दल चुनौतियों का सामना कर रहे हैं। रेड क्रॉस ने बिजली आपूर्ति में व्यवधान के कारण मांडले, सागाइंग और दक्षिणी शान राज्य तक पहुँचने में कठिनाइयों की सूचना दी है। उन्होंने संकेत दिया है कि प्रारंभिक आकलन में काफी नुकसान दिखाई देता है, और वे वर्तमान में मानवीय सहायता की सुविधा के लिए जानकारी एकत्र कर रहे हैं।
रेड क्रॉस ने म्यांमार और थाईलैंड में राहत प्रयासों के लिए 150,000 डॉलर देने का वादा किया है। यह धनराशि भोजन, पानी, कंबल, तिरपाल और स्वच्छता किट जैसी आवश्यक वस्तुओं के लिए आवंटित की जाएगी।
थाईलैंड में भूकंप के कारण एक निर्माणाधीन इमारत ढह गई, जिसके मलबे से 10 शव बरामद किए गए। बैंकॉक के उप-राज्यपाल ने कहा है कि 101 व्यक्ति अभी भी लापता हैं।